For a check-in, the inventory clerk meets the tenant at the property and will carry out the following:
- show the inventory to the tenant and walk them around the property
- record any details the tenant identifies during the walkthrough which were not already listed in the inventory
- tenant electronically signs the inventory on an iPad
- retake the meter readings (if check-in is done on a separate day to the inventory)
- picture and list keys given to tenant
- hand over keys to the tenant (if the landlord is not present)
Ideally, the check-in should take place before the tenant has moved their belongings in the property. However, there is no reason an inventory and check-in cannot be done on the same day, as long as the clerk is given enough time to complete the inventory before the tenants arrive.